Nottingham student died after running away from hospital and being struck by a lorry

Jamie Roe’s mother described him as never saying ‘a bad word about anyone’

A Nottingham Trent student, who died after running out of a mental health hospital, was assessed as having a high risk of absconding, an inquest has heard.

Jamie Roe, a student at Nottingham Trent, had been detained for two days at Fulborn Hospital, near Cambridge, when he absconded during a visit to the family room in 2021, reports the BBC. 

The jury was told how Jamie was later struck by a lorry.

Jamie’s mother, Wendy Setterfield told the inquest that her son “was all inclusive, non-judgemental and never said a bad word about anyone.”

She continued describing how her son’s “mental health deteriorated a few months before he did when he developed psychosis.

“Jamie smoked cannabis as a teenager and I believe this became more prolific during lockdown whilst at university.”

Assistant coroner, Phillip Barlow talked of how Jamie was seen by the mental health team in A&E in Nottingham on 13th November 2021 as “he was showing signs of psychosis.”

He was found to need further assessment under the Mental Health Act, as one of the doctors involved stated that community treatment was “not a viable and safe option.”

Jurors heard how a bed was arranged with Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust(CPFT) as he was a resident in the county.

The inquest further heard how his risk of absconding was graded as high in a report and staff told before his arrival later on 13th November due to him attempting to abscond the emergency department in Nottingham at least twice.

Under questioning a doctor at the facility told how despite her being aware of the high risk assessment she was not aware of full extent of it.

The inquest is ongoing.

Featured image via GoogleMaps 

Related articles recommended by this author:

• Nottingham City Council has declared itself as being effectively bankrupt

• Families of Grace and Barney vow to get justice after man pleads not guilty to murder