Tributes pour in for ‘dedicated’ Uni of Nottingham professor who passed away last month

‘Professor Tuck leaves a legacy that continues to this day’

Tributes have poured in for Professor Brian Tuck, who worked at the University of Nottingham for over 30 years. He died at the age of 83 on December 17th last year.

Professor Tuck joined the university in 1968, and went on to become head of department in 1988. He held this role for ten years before moving to Malaysia to establish the university’s first international campus, where he also headed a department until his retirement, reports Nottingham Post.

His funeral notice said “many students worldwide will miss his advice and counselling”.

Dr Steve Bull, head of the university’s department of electrical and electronic engineering, said: “Professor Brian Tuck joined the department at the University of Nottingham in 1968. His numerous contributions to research and teaching were recognised with his appointment as head of department in 1988, a role he held until 1998.

“Following this, Brian moved to Malaysia where he was instrumental in the establishment of our first international campus. Electrical and electronic engineering was one of the founding departments, of which Brian was head until his retirement. Brian enjoyed a long and productive career at Nottingham.

“He was a dedicated academic, someone who inspired me during my studies and I am proud to be following such a respected colleague. Professor Tuck had a long and distinguished career at the University of Nottingham and leaves a legacy that continues to this day, he will be fondly remembered by his many colleagues, in the UK and beyond.”

Professor Tuck’s funeral, which takes place on the 17th January at 3pm, will be live-streamed for those unable to make the service in-person.

Related articles recommended by this author

Fashion designer Paul Smith receives honorary degree from Uni of Nottingham

• Tributes pour in for Notts Trent student after being fatally struck in police car chase

• Nottingham student died after running away from hospital and being struck by a lorry