Two men sentenced to life in prison for murder of Cody Fisher in Birmingham nightclub

Remy Gordon and Kami Carpenter were sentenced to 26 and 25 years respectively at Birmingham Crown Court today

Two men have been sentenced to life in prison for the murder of footballer, Cody Fisher, on on Boxing Day 2022.

23-year-old Cody was attacked by a group of masked men while at the Crane venue in Digbeth, Birmingham.

Remy Gordon, 23, and Kami Carpenter, 22, have been found guilty of murder today following a 10 week trial and will serve a combined total of 51 years in prison, BBC reports.

Jurors at Birmingham Crown court were told how Cory’s murder was a “planned act of retribution” after he had bumped into Gordon’s back while leaving the bar Popworld in Solihull on December 24th.

After exchanging words, Gordon took to social media to identify Cory and discovered he would likely attend the Crane club on the 26th.

A semi-professional football player who played for Stratford Town FC, Cory was attacked at the venue after the minor altercation with Gordon and Carpenter two days earlier.

The footballer was surrounded and his phone was slapped out of his hand by Kami Carpenter, who then headbutted him. A group of men in masks threw punches and kicks at Cody, including a blow to the face which fractured the back of his jaw, on both sides. Carpenter then stabbed Cody in the chest. He was later pronounced dead at the scene.

The judge sentenced Gordon to minimum terms of 26 and Carpenter 25 years at Birmingham Crown Court today. He told the court that Carpenter started the fight and was most likely responsible for stabbing Cody, explaining that the blow with the knife was delivered left handed, explaining: “Carpenter is left handed.”

Explaining both men’s sentencing, the judge told Gordon he was “essentially the leader” of his group. While it was Carpenter who delivered the blow, the judge explained that it was Gordon who “planned and drove this attack”.

Cory’s girlfriend, Jess Chatwin, was with him at the club on the night of the attack, and posted an emotional tribute online the day after he was killed.

In a statement read out in court, she said her world “shattered” as her boyfriend took his last breaths in her arms.

She said: “Seconds before that moment I remember turning around and looking at Cody behind me and he gave me the biggest smile full of love and happiness – now I question if that was his goodbye.

“The next time I turned around he was surrounded by those attacking him and I watched him fall to the floor, then reality struck that he had been fatally stabbed. My life stopped that day, I live each day with enormous pain, loneliness and sadness.

“I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with Cody. Now I have to face the world without his love and guidance, something he always showed me while we were together.”

In her victim impact statement, Cody’s mother described her son as an angel who never had a bad bone in his body.

Tracey Fisher said: “We started our life sentences a little over 12 months ago. Since this horrendous day, I feel my own life has ended, as if I too was stabbed straight through the heart.”

Attending Popworld with Cody on the night of the 24th, his best friend Dan Vann said the incident at Popworld in Solihull was so minor they had not thought anything of it. He said: “Literally nothing happened” and that they had “just gently tapped this kid on the back” as they walked out to leave.

A third man, 19-year-old Reegan Anderson, was found guilty of affray and given a sentence of 18 months in prison.